Another one of the classics, the “missionary” is a standard sex position that’s easy to get into. It involves two people in a horizontal position. Both partners need to lie down and face each other. One of the benefits of this position is the incredible face-to-face intimacy. Looking at one another during sex allows for continuous eye contact and facial expression and that can enhance intimacy and increase arousal, which is certainly handy during sexual encounters.
Here’s a simple step by step guide to do “missionary”:
- The person being penetrated lies flat on their back.
- The one doing the penetrating gets on top, facing their partner.
- From here, the penetrating person can enter.
Do not write off missionary sex as “boring”! It’s actually a versatile position, which allows for kissing, intimate eye contact, and lots of skin-to-skin touching. And it is not as “passive” as it looks. Even though it may not seem like it, the missionary position is great for working your core muscles. While the thrusting partner uses a lot of strength, the receiving person can also thrust back, which involves the core and the pelvic region. Fitness done in bed.
The missionary is also great for lesbian couples. If you are on top, wearing the strap-on, you can easily penetrate your partner in this position.
Let’s assume you like the standard missionary position but would like to switch it up a bit? There are multiple ways. Depending on personal preferences, you can try the following position variations which still allow for eye contact and intimacy.
The first one is a coital alignment technique (CAT), which involves using a pillow (or anything to lift your hips).
The person being penetrated lies flat with a pillow under his or her butt so that the pelvis area is angled upwards, allowing for more direct contact with the clitoris and surrounding area. The penetrating partner stays on top and enters the same as in standard missionary.
Added bonus: this classical position is a great option for G-spot stimulation, especially if you place a pillow or wedge under your hips to elevate your pelvis and give your partner a better angle.
Number two: Legs up missionary
Both partners assume the standard missionary position.
The person being penetrated lifts their legs up (either bent or straight, whatever feels more comfortable).
The penetrating partner holds onto the other’s thighs to get a different angle of deep and strong thrusting.
If you keep your legs closed while being penetrated, the closed missionary position creates more internal containment, which can add to a feeling of pressure and accessibility for just-the-right-depth vaginal and G-spot stimulation.
Number three: One partner standing
The person being penetrated lies on the bed, face up, with their genital area towards the end of the bed. The penetrating one stands there, facing the bed, and enters this way. Standing can give you a better angle, but the mattress should be high enough, otherwise it is a squatting workout. You can skip the leg day at your local gym afterwards.
By the way: the missionary position is a standard one for penetrative sex, but actually it does not need to involve penetration at all. Many sex therapists recommend this position due to its versatility, because it allows the person on top easy access to pleasure the partner lying down in a variety of ways, not only by entering them. You can stimulate the partner’s vulva with your hands, mouth, or a sex toy.
Aside from exploring missionary position variations, using a blindfold, incorporating toys, and talking dirty can also help you spice up missionary – depending on what you and your partner are fans of. Here are some tips.
- A blindfold. Experts recommend that the person being penetrated is blindfolded. Not being able to see what your partner is going to do next can change dynamics, heighten senses and add an element of surprise, even if the body is doing the same motion.
- Dirty talking. If erotic banter excites you and your partner, go for it! Dirty words can set the mood of a night club and an erotic peep show. They may increase arousal and stimulate your brain, not just your body. Definitely something to try out in bed!
- Sex toys. Using them during sex can help you be more exploratory in the classical missionary position. For example, try using a butt plug for stimulation of both the anus and the vagina of the partner being penetrated or a vibrator on the clitoris. Excitement is almost guaranteed!
- Scenery change: Having sex in a different location, like a terrace or the office floor (if you are brave enough), is an easy way to spice up missionary.
Missionary is a classical and fairly simple sex position that allows for intimacy and closeness with your partner. However, if you get bored of plain old missionary sex, you can easily spice things up with position variations or adding in new elements such as a blindfold, sex toys or dirty talk. Enjoy exploring all the different options and seeing what brings the two of you the most pleasure in this horizontal position.
Read more sex positions: